Friday, October 28, 2011

[RE] Occupy Oakland

When I first heard Mr. Sutherland talking about Occupy Oakland, it came across as a peaceful movement. I'm not gonna try and say I understand the reason behind it or why it started in the first place because I don't. I have no idea what's going on in Oakland right now but from the looks of Mr. Sutherland's blog posts lately, it doesn't appear to be going too well. Whatever it is. 
"The sound of choppers, present for hours now, is getting louder. Occupy Oakland, encampments busted up before dawn this morning by cops from over a dozen different law enforcement agencies, is on the march...somewhere downtown. It's grown." 
I took this quote from the Just One Teacher blog stream.  Like I said, I don't really get this Occupy Oakland thing and it's my fault because I haven't really tried to understand. But this looks like it's getting pretty bad. I went back and read a post from earlier in the stream titled, Notes from Occupy Oakland Day Two: "Our" "Demands"? I probably should have started at day one but this one caught my eye. From reading that post, I gathered that "we" are trying to provoke "our" "government" to choose a different path other then capitalism. Am I right so far? Tell me if I'm not because this is actually pretty interesting. Sutherland goes on to talk about how it's kind of ridiculous that we're trying to make "demands" of this "government" when by doing so, we are just submitting ourselves to its "leadership" and not getting much accomplished because "capitalism couldn't give a steaming shit less about anything but profits.
So. By the looks of things (I mean by the looks of what Mr Sutherland is relaying onto his blog) we're not getting anywhere? Basically, clip notes version of what I've learned from a few paragraphs of my English teacher's personal account, we want something from our "government" (I still don't know what) but we're going about it the wrong way because our "government" couldn't care less about what we want as long as the capitalist system is still making them money? And by trying to make these straight forward "demands" we're just feeding into the idea that they are all powerful leaders and that's just making things worse? 
Again, correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't actually gone and read a news article about this whole thing, which I probably should but Mr Sutherland's posts are so much less dry and they actually get to the personal aspect so I'm gonna try and keep up with those instead. And, this is a response post so I'm not supposed to go off a random newspaper article anyway. However, I really want to understand this at least a little bit so I can follow along in class discussions and with other posts from Sutherland and the students. Soooo. As far as the concept of Occupy Oakland and my understanding of it, am I warm? Cold? On the nose? Doubt it, but let me know! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to read my schtuff...It's very helpful for me to hear back about the impression my words are leaving out there. And from the sound of it, I've given you the wrong impression!

    Note for one thing that there's tons more I HAVEN"T written about than what I have, because the experience of being down there at City Hall is overwhelmingly complicated and tough to boil down into blog posts. So I guess I'm just describing in words whatever and whenever and however I can find the means of expression, though I'll be the first to admit that my descriptions don't even come close to capturing what's really going on. (So I suppose I can't help but leave a wrong impression.)

    And yeah, I would recommend checking out some more "official" news reports of what's been going on--but only with the understanding that these sources, too, will not be able to tell you the whole story. But at least they'll tell you a different slice of it.

    What you REALLY oughta do...is go down there and check it out for yourself. :) The students who've done so thus far have had their minds changed/blown quite impressively by an after-school visit or two.

    Hope to see you back in class soon!

    ReplyDelete